Atelier Calla is a Haitian artisan enterprise offering handmade jewelry and home decor. Atelier Calla exhibits at Artisan Resource at NY NOW. We asked Christelle of Atelier Calla, some questions about their experience at Artisan Resource at NY NOW and working with ByHand.
1. Why did you select Artisan Resource at NY NOW? What does Artisan Resource offer that other shows don’t?
Artisan Resource is an incredible platform that is curated for the buyer. I felt that the selection of companies showing in this section of NY NOW was chosen to offer a diversity in products from all around the world. Handmade products with a story, history and soul. Also, the support system from ByHand and the NY NOW representatives is amazing. The advice was on point and the focus on promoting the artisan's work in the best way possible was so valuable.
2. How did you know you were ready to exhibit in Artisan Resource?
I was strongly encouraged by Artisan Business Network and ByHand Consulting. I was very impressed at first because NY NOW is such a big show and the competition is fierce, but knowing that Haitian products have had success gave me the confidence to participate.
3. What were your biggest concerns in preparing for Artisan Resource?
The biggest concern was choosing the right selection of products in order to touch and attract the most buyers.
4. What help did you receive from ByHand to help you prepare and be successful at the show?
The webinars to begin with and the one-on-one Skype sessions were very helpful to answer most of the questions I had. Then once on site, the advice on how to present the products in the best way possible was very important as well.
5. How did participating in Artisan Resource impact your business? What results did it bring for your business?
Participating in Artisan Resource gave me an exposure to the US Market that I wouldn't have had otherwise. This is probably the best investment I've made for Atelier Calla. I doubled my sales in export and I have a database of contacts that I can work with for the years to come.
6. What advice do you have for companies exhibiting in Artisan Resource for the first time?
Don't be scared! Believe in your product and your story. Make sure to deliver and prepare for all the questions about your products potential. Buyers will ask.